Friday, November 1, 2013

The Woes of Public Speaking

by Shondaray Ducheine, St. Mary's RA

With their eager and intense eyes all on me, my throat suddenly felt dry as I began to conduct my first floor meeting. The words uh and um started to pop up into my speech. Even though I was following an outline, I definitely remember skipping over information. I couldn’t get a handle on their attention. They would constantly start talking and whispering to each other. The ice breaker I had planned went out the window once my nerves began getting the best of me. Honestly, I was a wreck and, just like my residents, wanted this meeting to end. It wasn’t the best meeting I’ve directed, but I learned a lot about myself in that instance.

Having an outgoing personality does not mean I am a public speaker. Mistakenly, I used to think it did. I assumed the common thread between them was being able to put myself out there. Since I could express myself and my opinions very well with people I had met for the first time, it made sense for me to believe I could do the same in a public speaking situation. However, that is not the case. When I’m conversing with another, verbal and non-verbal cues provide feedback on the conversation. I know things are going well when the other is laughing or smiling. Because I’m used to the flow of reactions in conversations, I didn’t know what to make of the silence or at times disturbances of a floor meeting.

It didn’t take me long to realize that public speaking situations like meetings and presentations have mostly non-verbal cues for feedback. Blank stares can be interpreted as people not listening or boredom. Anxious movements indicate the meeting pace needs to pick up. The occasional nod means I’ve got their attention. Once I learned these cues, I had a better handle on communicating publicly. At least I think so if my stellar presentation grades are anything to go by. Just recently, I volunteered at an open house for my Education major. I spoke to a group of students without a single stutter or dry throat. I was shocked and very impressed with myself. Without even meaning to, I have overcome my public speaking issue.

It is fair to say that I would have gotten better with public speaking as I progressed through my academic career. But, being a Resident Assistant has accelerated this development and has provided me with more opportunities to succeed. This position has tremendously enhanced my social, creative, and authoritative skills. As a result, I am more involved on campus with organizations that require me to speak publicly and connect with others. Because of my increased leadership involvement, I know my confidence will continue to develop and solidify itself for my future profession as a Latin and Science teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment